This position maintains the condition of City’s golf course by providing specialized care to golf course surfaces, and provides maintenance and repairs to buildings, systems, and equipment; to provide a clean and safe environment for workers and the public.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be required and assigned.
1. Performs turf, ground and vegetation management.
2. Operates, diagnoses, monitors, and repairs the irrigation system.
3. Applies fertilizer and pesticides to golf course turf and landscape beds.
4. Participates in seedbed preparation, over seeding existing turf grass, and laying sod.
5. Provides general building maintenance and construction i.e. repairs, painting, dry walling, plumbing, non-licensed electrical work, carpentry work, facility startup and shut down, etc. on golf structures.
6. Inspects, cleans, lubricates, and performs preventive maintenance or repair on equipment.
7. Ensures all activities are carried out in a safe manner; adheres to all safety regulations; ensures all regulations pertaining to the safe use of equipment are understood and followed.
8. Reports all accidents to the appropriate authority. Follows all policies for reporting.
9. Maintains appropriate records including complete equipment repair history, work orders, daily job card, and other related data.
10. Completes written records of labor and materials used for each work project.
11. Maintains a neat and orderly work area.
12. Provides supervision to seasonal work crews.
13. Advises supervisor(s) of complaints and/or concerns not resolved.
14. Maintains inventories to ensure that materials and supplies are available.
15. Assists with golf course construction projects as assigned.
16. Provides backup assistance to other department personnel as needed.
17. Reports to work for after hour needs, as assigned.
18. Performs emergency repairs and work as necessary.
19. Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of turf maintenance, irrigation system, and general machinery and golf course equipment.
2. Familiarity with chemicals and fertilizers and knowing rates of application/calibration of sprayers.
3. Recognizing the correct mower settings and mowing patterns; being able to make adjustments to cutting heights and cutting quality.
4. Knowledge of safe operation and maintenance of tools, equipment and facility systems.
5. Knowledge of Personal Protective Equipment.
6. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
7. Skill in organizational and time management to prioritize duties to accomplish a high volume of work product while adapting to constant changes in priority.
8. Ability to understand and effectively carry out local policies and procedures; written instructions, general correspondence, and Federal, State, and local regulations.
9. Ability to perform detailed work accurately and independently in compliance with stringent time limits with minimal direction and supervision.
10. Ability to prepare and maintain accurate and concise records and reports consistent with the position.
11. Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively in English with staff, administration, and the public in both written and verbal form.
12. Ability to define problems, exercise sound judgment, and address a variety of situations.
13. Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
14. Ability to maintain professionalism at all times.
15. Ability to work as a member of a team.
16. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
17. Ability to perform mathematical calculations required of this position.
18. Ability to work the allocated hours of the position and ability to work flexible hours to include evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environment characteristics described in this description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions or as otherwise required by law. Employees needing reasonable accommodation should discuss the request with the employee’s supervisor.
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 75 pounds of force; requires strenuous manual labor including, but not limited to digging, shoveling, sweeping, raking, hauling, crawling, bending, lifting, pushing, pulling, twisting, and climbing.
Work performed may require walking or standing to a significant degree on rough terrain or may involve sitting for long periods with pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls.
Work may be performed above or below ground, to include confined spaces.
Work has standard vision requirements.
Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
May be subject to hazardous chemicals/pesticides.
Duties are performed under all weather conditions and include exposure to inclement weather.
Frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to cold, wet and/or humid conditions.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
High school diploma/equivalent and a minimum of four (4) years of turf management or landscaping experience.
Associates degree or bachelor’s degree in agronomy or horticulture preferred.
Previous experience in a golf course setting.
Previous experience to include irrigation systems.
Previous experience to include application of fertilizers and pesticides.
Commercial Pesticide Applicator License.
Ability to commute/relocate:
Watertown, SD 57201: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
turf management/landscapting: 4 years (Required)
Driver's License (Preferred)
Additional Salary Information: Benefits:
Employee assistance program
Flexible spending account
Paid time off
About Cattail Crossing Golf Course
27 hole municipal golf course located in the heart of the lakes region of South Dakota. Watertown is a destination city for the sprtsman.