• Responsible for all phases of Golf Maintenance and Agronomic operations, cost control, and personnel.
• Works closely with, advises, and coordinates with the Owners & Head Golf Professional on any issues related to golf course maintenance.
• Directs and participates in the construction and maintenance of the grounds.
• Designs landscape plans for facility grounds and implements the plan.
• Administers and enforces all Club rules, regulations and policies for staff.
• Supports and assists with membership seminars and orientations.
• Works closely with the GM/CEO/Supervisor to operate the Golf Course in a fiscally responsible and professional manner.
• Must be able to work independently and be a self-starting problem solver.
• Oversees the care and maintenance of the turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees and wetlands on the facility grounds.
• Directs and assists the staff on the planting of new vegetation, the replacement, spraying, pruning and trimming of trees and shrubs, the preparation of soil plant beds for aesthetically pleasing arrangements and tending to high stress areas.
• Provides detailed annual plan for the various property levels and the designated landscaping areas. Includes rotational design to provide facility with fresh, eye-catching, interesting and pleasant atmosphere.
• Manages an aggressive water usage tracking plan and irrigation systems and provides monthly reporting on retaining ponds, wells and other water source usage.
• Recruits, supervises and retains maintenance staff. Conducts employee performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action.
• Provides technical, operational and safety training for employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, club safety, state and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
• Oversees subordinates in proper and safe operation and maintenance of mechanical and power equipment. Plans and budgets for additional or replacement capital equipment.
• Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the Club's grounds in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
• Supervises and controls all maintenance expenses associated with Golf Course Operations, including payroll, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers.
• Develops annual operating budget and plans for maintenance and capital improvement projects.
• Maintains records and completes required reporting. Order parts, supplies and equipment as needed.
• Schedules maintenance practices around member play and outings to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to members.
• Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities when necessary.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
• Knowledge of management and maintenance of greens, fairways and roughs.
• Knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
• Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating and motivating personnel.
• Interpersonal skill to resolve conflict and work with supervisors, officials, employees, members and the general public.
• Knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products.
• Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play.
• Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to golf course maintenance and repair assignments.
• Ability and knowledge to lay out irrigation patterns, drainage patterns, construct tees and/or greens.
• 2 years' minimum experience as a Golf Superintendent or 1st Assistant
• 2-year Degree or Certificate in Turf Management (or related field, like agronomy, horticulture, plant science, soil science).
• Computer skills required for financial reporting and control of operations
• Valid Driver's License.
• NY Pesticide Application License
About The Lazy Swan Golf & Country Club
The Lazy Swan Golf & Country Club opened in the Spring of 2007 and was designed by Golf Course Architect Barry Jordan as a 9-hole Signature Course. In 2010, the back 9 was completed paving the way for a Premier Championship 18-hole Course. The Course is situated on 120 acres; par 70, 6500 yards showcasing Bent tees, Fairways & sand-based greens. It is a challenging course with the majority of the green complexes surrounded by water hazards and multiple bunkers. We are located in the heart of The Hudson Valley with panoramic views of the Catskill & Blue Mountains less than 100 miles from NYC. The course envelops a village-like setting that consists of an outdoor 2-story seasonal restaurant, bar & music venue, an indoor all year-round fine dining restaurant, a banquet facility, health & wellness studio, coffee shop, pro shop and 5 additional buildings for Maintenance.