Southern Gayles Golf Club in Athens, AL is excited to announce the career opportunity for a hands-on, highly motivated Golf Course Superintendent. Qualified candidates will thrive in our hospitable environment in an up and coming area of North Alabama.
This is the only golf course within 20 miles in a very fast growing area of Limestone County, AL. Course was purchased almost 2 years ago and we are building around 400 houses on the surroundings of the golf course. We currently have bentgrass greens and are in the process of planning a renovation to them as they near the end of their lifespan. Brand new driving range with Tifway 419 bermuda. Bermuda fairways/tees and zoysia collars on the rest of the golf course. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to make their name in the industry and see first hand the process of renovation and updating of the facilities of a golf club.
Superintendent will report directly to the General Manager.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Direct and supervise the maintenance of greens, fairways, tees, driving range, bodies of water, roughs, maintenance shop and grounds and clubhouse landscaping maintenance.
· Supervises all planting, fertilizing and care of turf; plants, shrubs, trees and other facilities on the golf course and grounds.
· Responsible for maintenance, operation, management, preparation, and condition of the golf courses and grounds.
· Daily communication with General Manager/Pro Shop staff on golf course condition and playability.
· Prepares an annual budget and achieves these financial goals throughout the year, through proper forecasting, expense controls and labor management
· Plan and implement schedules of fertilizer, aeration, weed management and other related activities
· Responsible for hiring, training and developing all staff within department
· Ensures staff is working within OSHA, club safety, state and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
· Ensures that maintenance equipment is properly maintained.
· Reconciles and provides timely coding of all invoices, payroll and other required documents.
· Grow, maintain and manicure varieties of turf grass
· Conduct routine inspection of equipment and vehicles and communicate any issues to the mechanic.
· Oversee treatment and ensure continued quality of turf
· Manage and document chemical, pesticide and fertilizer use.
· Implement the agronomic plan for the golf course
· Oversee laborers and other technicians in carrying out practices
· Coordinate logistics of harvest, delivery and transportation of product
· Manage both full-time and seasonal employees
· Report to golf course management regularly
Minimum 2 years of experience in a golf resort, golf course
Prior experience with bentgrass greens is preferred.
Great leadership and managerial skills.
Knowledge of the maintenance of golf course tee, fairways, greens; seeding.
Knowledge of maintenance practices for golf course turf, planting cultivating, pruning, and caring for plants, shrubs, and trees.
Knowledge of proper use of fertilizers and knowledge of soil conditions, herbicide and pest control, drainage methods and irrigation systems.
Additional Salary Information: Health, dental, vision insurance.
Paid time off.
Local and national association dues.
Continuing education opportunities.
About Southern Gayles Golf Club
Southern Gayles Golf Club was built in 1994. We recently purchased it in October 2021. Place has good bones but needs some renovating and rebranding. Recently re-built the driving range and am currently planning out the process of resurfacing the greens. We have a mix of bentgrass on the greens and the rest of the course has bermuda fairways/tees along with zoysia collars. We are located in a very fast growing area of Limestone County, AL and are in the process of building 400 homes around the surrounding areas of the golf course.
Looking for a highly motivated Superintendent that I can provide any resources they need to help us get Southern Gayles where it should be and grow with us while maintaining it.