The Golf Course General Manager I manages a 9-hole Cleveland Metroparks golf course, including both turfgrass (including specialized agronomic equipment) and clubhouse facilities (including staffing and operations). The Golf Course General Manager is also responsible for budgeting, staffing, scheduling, and maintenance planning to ensure the golf course generates revenue while providing championship-level golfing conditions to guests.
- Effectively supervises assigned employees, including the following:
- Interviews, selects and trains employees;
- Coaches employees in proper job performance techniques and procedures;
- Directs work of employees and sets/adjusts hours of work;
- Maintains records on employee productivity and appraises employees’ productivity and efficiency to recommend promotions or other changes in status;
- Handles employee complaints and disciplines employees when necessary;
- Apportions work among different employees;
- Monitors or implements legal compliance measures;
- Determines the type of materials, supplies, or tools to be used by employees and controls the flow and distribution of materials and supplies; and
- Provides for the safety of employees and the property of Cleveland Metroparks.
- Regular and predictable attendance is expected and required. All Cleveland Metroparks employees must be prepared to work flexible schedules, including evenings, weekends, and/or holidays as required.
- Manages the course turfgrass: applies current agronomic best practices to maintain turfgrass, including daily monitoring of turf, planning, scheduling, and monitoring mowing and rolling, irrigation, aeriation, fertilization, and application of pesticides; requests and evaluates laboratory reports; manages technicians and maintenance staff; acquires and maintains specialized equipment, directing mechanical staff.
- Manages and maintains the clubhouse facilities and grounds, including operation of all building and kitchen equipment; works with the Golf Clubhouse Manager / Golf Pro to ensure the required staffing for all clubhouse operations, maintains the maintenance building and other outbuildings, coordinates and oversees renovation and capital projects.
- Ensures required seasonal and full-time staffing for all course maintenance and clubhouse operations; coordinates with the Golf Clubhouse Manager / Golf Pro to hire, train, monitor, and evaluate all staff; creates daily, weekly, or biweekly task schedules, ensuring that overtime is minimized, supervises the Golf Clubhouse Manager / Golf Pro.
- Communicates details of programs and events to supervisor and to grounds and clubhouse staff; coordinates daily schedule changes due to weather, prepares various reports for administrative staff, coordinates and directs staff from other departments or from outside vendors for maintenance and construction projects, conducts employee meetings on Metroparks events, explains MSDS sheets and safety issues.
- Creates and reviews budgets to ensure that the golf course will meet targeted goals for profitability; monitors expense and revenue reports, coordinates with Finance department to ensure required controls and reporting are in place, maintains complete and accurate financial records of the golf course operation.
- Creates or reviews daily, weekly, and monthly records of clubhouse operations (expense, revenue, payroll, recycling, inventory) and turfgrass maintenance (equipment, consumables, pesticide reporting, scheduling.) Creates or reviews staff incident reports and annual staff evaluations.
- Establishes and monitors environmentally sound turfgrass management practices (fuel consumption, pesticide and fertilizer use, storm water management.) Establishes and monitors facility utility usage, recycling programs, and waste disposal.
- Keeps direct supervisor promptly informed of key/significant issues or concerns.
- Carries out duties and responsibilities in a safe and efficient manner to maintain a safe work environment and surrounding area for oneself, co-workers and public. Responds to hazardous situations and/or potentially unsafe conditions by taking corrective action as capable and promptly notifying supervisory personnel.
- Updates and enhances own knowledge by involvement in continuing education for professional growth (i.e., attends relevant conferences, seminars, in-service trainings, and certification programs)
- Performs related duties as assigned or apparent.