Philadelphia Cricket Club, one of the oldest and most prestigious clubs in the country is seeking an Assistant Superintendent. The individual will join one of the most innovative operations in the country with accelerated career advancement opportunities.
The Cricket Club provides preeminent recreational and social experiences for its members, their families and friends by maintaining exceptional standards in its facilities, programs, services and professional staff. The Club carries a rich history in the game of golf nationally and within the Philadelphia community.
WHY THE PHILADELPHIA CRICKET CLUB?
Accelerated Professional Growth and Development: Chance to learn from experienced professionals, gain new skills, and expand your network within the sports and hospitality industries. PCC boasts a successful track record of producing future Golf Course Superintendents. In the past 10-years, PCC has helped 12 members of their Turf team earn Superintendent roles throughout the country.
Industry Leader and National Reputation: PCC is consistently elevating member experiences, programs and amenities, which requires developing and implementing high maintenance standards and best practices to ensure consistent quality across the golf courses.
Recently, PCC began using 32 Autonomous mowers to provide championship ready conditions. With this move, the Club aims to be a leader in adopting autonomous technologies.
Diverse Learning Opportunities: Philadelphia Cricket Club provides a range of opportunities for employees to gain a "global perspective" on club management, and to suit different skill sets and interests. Outside of golf, the club amenities include 18 grass tennis courts, 10 har-tru courts, 7 platform tennis courts, indoor tennis courts, squash courts, swimming pool and 4 newly installed Padel courts.
Community and Networking: A multifaceted club with a large membership network of 1,600 members provides a support network unmatched in the Club industry.
- Staff: In season 70 employees across 3 golf courses. Full-time year round employees are 36 employees.
- Maintenance budget: $6 million maintenance budget and $1.75 million capital
- Typical work schedule: April - August are about 60 hours. March, September, October are about 50 hours. November - February are about 42 hours.
- Equipment: part of a John Deere Lease package.
- Irrigation system is Rain Bird Cirrus. 2 courses have Rain Bird ICM 700 series heads. 1 course has Toro 800 series heads that run off Rain Bird Satellites.
- Future projects: New teaching / performance center, new 9-hole par 3 course, and new driving range, putting greens, and chipping greens.
- Host of 2024 USGA Amateur Four-ball Championship.
SUCCESS TRAITS OF INDIVIDUAL:
- Positive attitude and be responsible by nature while exuding a friendly demeanor with a willingness to exceed member expectations.
- Collaborative team player who can work well alongside a diverse turf team spread across two campuses and 3 golf courses.
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and written.
- Willing to take on new challenges and open to learning skills that may fall outside the normal turf grass spectrum.
- Embracing innovative tools and equipment, such as advanced irrigation systems, GPS tracking, and turf management software.
INITIAL PRIORITIES OF POSITION:
- Learn the culture, operations and daily practices to ensure optimal golf course conditions and member experiences.
- The assistant superintendent will work with the Superintendent to schedule and run the crew on a daily basis.
- Help schedule irrigation and hand water bent grass surfaces.
- Work with Grounds Maintenance Manager to carry out chemical spray schedule through chemical applications.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND APTITUDE:
- Assist in management of the hourly crew, which includes scheduling, employee safety, and discipline.
- Programming and repair of irrigation system, hand watering to supplement the irrigation system.
- Safely operate golf course equipment including but not limited to carts, mowers, rollers, rakes, loaders, automobiles, etc.
- Responsible for course set up; working with the Superintendent and golf pros to pick hole locations and change holes and tee marker locations.
- Work with the Superintendent and fellow assistants to schedule and apply pesticide and fertilizer applications.
- Help budget and oversee project work with a small crew during off-season course projects.
- Help oversee daily operations of the Philadelphia Cricket Club golf courses at the Flourtown campus.
- Developing and implementing comprehensive maintenance standards and best practices ensure consistent quality across the golf course for ultimate golfer experience.
- Contributes to PCC's overall environmental and community stewardship programs including First Green programs.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- $58,000 - $70,000 depending on experience
- Health insurance including medical, dental, and vision
- Life insurance
- Temporary Housing
- Short-and-long term disability
- Uniforms, Meals, Golfing Privileges
- Continued education and association dues
- 2 weeks PTO
- Tournament Volunteer
- Previous golf course experience preferred but not required.
- Looking for a hard working individual who can thrive in a team environment with freedom, mobility, and opportunities for change and quick growth.
- Certificate, 2-year or 4-year degree preferred.
The Philadelphia Cricket Club is one of the finest private family-oriented full-service country clubs in America. As the nation's oldest country club, the Club has a rich sporting heritage of which we are proud and which we strive to preserve and enrich. The Cricket Club provides preeminent recreational and social experiences for its members, their families and friends by maintaining exceptional standards in its facilities, programs, services and professional staff.
The original St Martins 9-hole course which hosted the 1907 and 1910 U.S. Open Golf Championship; The Wissahickon Course, designed by PCC member A.W. Tillinghast built in 1922 and currently ranked the 38th best classic golf course in the U.S.; and The Militia Hill Course designed by Hurdzan and Fry that opened in 2002.