The First Assistant Superintendent is responsible for golf course maintenance operations, and team members under the leadership of the Golf Course Superintendent. Manage and maintain golf course properties including golf course, clubhouse grounds and landscaping, open spaces and the equipment used to maintain these areas.
Job Summary (Essential Functions):
- Maintain knowledge of all aspects of daily Club operation, including operating hours and scheduled golf events
- Assist Superintendent with coordination and supervision of contractors performing work on Club property and golf course project.
- Assist Superintendent in planning the maintenance of greens, tees, fairways, and landscape beds.
- Review work assignments and schedule work for crews depending on work priorities, crew and equipment availability, and weather conditions; recommend changes in working conditions or equipment use to increase crew efficiency.
- Direct activities of course maintenance staff performing duties such as landscaping, mowing turf, irrigating, or pruning trees and shrubs.
- Monitor project activities to ensure that instructions are followed, deadlines are met, and schedules are maintained.
- Inspect completed work to ensure conformance to specifications, standards, and contract requirements.
- Identify diseases and pests affecting turf and landscaping and order appropriate treatments.
- Supervise the planting and maintenance of vegetation through activities such as mulching, fertilizing, watering, mowing, and pruning.
- Supervise pesticide applications and/or operate and calibrate pesticide application equipment.
- Supervise and participate in the operation and maintenance of pumps, and in the maintenance of irrigation and drainage systems; schedule and monitor irrigation.
- Instruct equipment operators on the operation and care of mowing and other equipment; supervise the use of course maintenance equipment.
- Establish and enforce operating procedures and work standards that will ensure adequate performance and team member safety.
- Develop, lead, and conduct course maintenance staff training program for proper course care techniques; ensure required trainings are conducted on a regular basis.
- Assist staff in performing their assigned duties as necessary to meet deadlines.
- Work with Mechanic to maintain inventory of supplies, tools, equipment, and materials; ensure sufficient supplies are available and items are in usable condition.
- Regularly inspect maintenance building and ensure cleanliness and organization.
- Know CA labor law basics and enforce labor codes (meal and rest breaks etc.) as required by law.
- Consistently promote a safe working environment; adhere to safety policies.
- Keep Superintendent informed of issues as they arise.
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
Must be able to lift 50 lbs., as well as stand, sit or kneel for extended periods of time. Frequent standing, walking, lifting, bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. Also, the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes, chemicals, and sometimes loud noises.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or industry experience.
- A degree in turf management or related field of study is preferred but not required.
- Five years’ greens and grounds management experience required.
- Ability to manage staff and work with management team.
Work Schedule and Hours:
- Regular scheduled hours but must be flexible if needed for occasional work outside of normal business hours.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position. It is not intended to give all details, or a step-by-step account of the way each procedure or task is performed. The incumbent is expected to perform other duties necessary for the effective operation of the club.
Sharon Heights Golf & Country Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Sharon Heights Golf & Country Club is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Sharon Heights are considered without regards to age, ancestry, color, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, protected family care or medical leave status, race, religion (including beliefs and practices or the absence thereof), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.