River Hills Country Club is looking for a Director of Agronomy. This position requires 3-5 years of experience as a Golf Superintendent or currently serving as a Director of Agronomy. Our golf course has just undergone resprigging of all Champion Bermuda greens and installation of a Toro Double-Row irrigation system. It is positioned to be one of the best golf courses in the area.
The salary range for this position is $90k - $100k, along with full benefits (medical, dental, vision, short term disability, 401(k) with a company match up to 4%, sick time, paid time off, and much more.
Experience with push-up greens, clay soil is a plus. Expertise with Bermuda is required. Experience with Toro Double -Row irrigation system is a plus.
We will be taking applications thru May 31, 2023. Please submit cover letter and resume' to Jeff Ledford, Director of HR at email@example.com
Director of Agronomy
Reports to: General Manager
Supervises: Golf Course Superintendent
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Horticulture or Plant Science.
- Associate’s degree from an intensive two-year turf grass management program.
- Additional training in mechanics, design, surveying and ecology.
- Previous work as an assistant to an experienced Golf Course Superintendent.
- Previous supervisory experience in a club or golf course setting.
- Effectively managed and trained employees/the agronomy staff
- Demonstrated/effective process to track and manage the work hours necessary to complete agronomy tasks
- Demonstrated ability to prepare the agronomy budget and manage to it throughout the year
- Experience partnering with a Golf Course Architect to build out and work to execute to a Golf Course Master Plan.
Job Knowledge, Core Competencies and Expectations
- Understand the rules of golf and be up-to-date on federal, state and local laws on golf course operations.
- Administrative and executive ability, especially critical in problem-solving and decision-making.
- Knowledge of ability to perform required role in emergency situations.
- Experience with Bermuda grass is required; experience with Champion Bermuda is a plus.
- Experience with Toro Double-Row Irrigation system a plus.
- Spanish speaking is a plus.
Job Summary (Essential Functions)
As Director of Agronomy, you are a key member of our Leadership team at RHCC and will play a critical role in overseeing agronomics of our world-class golf experience. Thriving in a fast-paced environment you will be entrusted to oversee the grow-in and maintenance of our 18-hole championship golf course and the practice facilities. You will also have opportunities to play a crucial role in the construction and improvement of our golf facilities.
As an ambassador of RHCC, you will communicate to connect with team members, colleagues and leaders and will lead your team to ensure an exhilarating golf experience for RHCC guests. Responsible for the development and implementation of innovative, tailored agronomic strategies, you and your team will achieve financial targets while protecting and enhancing our beautiful River Hills Country Club.
- Provide innovative agronomic direction for the care and healthy growth of our golf course, including grasses, trees, and surrounding environmental structures.
- Partner with the General Manager and leaders of the Golf Operation to ensure we continually exceed guest experience standards by providing firm, fast and fun conditions consistent with RHCC standards.
- Plan, develop, and execute all agronomic programs while leading long-term sustainable turf conditioning objectives.
- Oversee improvements to the property’s maintenance facilities, on-course structures, and nurseries.
- Grow-in appropriate turf types to balance financial and playability/guest experience objectives.
- Oversee effective ecosystem management, repair & mitigate feature erosion and provide strategies to protect and enhance the land used for golf.
- Coordinate golf course improvements, long-term plans, repairs, and maintenance programs while considering player access, golf season peaks and business volumes.
- Assist with the planning and execution of new developments and take responsibility for the acquisition, installation, and evaluation of infrastructure relative to property landscapes.
- Recruit, retain and inspire a best-in-class team.
- Provide clear and engaging leadership to all team members by communicating with the intent to connect.
- Communicate regularly and openly to create a positive and team-oriented environment.
- Implement industry-leading practices to attract, develop and retain top talent.
- Represent our RHCC brand with impact when reviewing construction specifications, sanctioning material testing & analysis, and installing infrastructure.
- Inspire colleagues to develop themselves and to coach their teams to enthusiastically perform to the highest standard.
- Coordinate and oversee ground team members in their personal/professional development plans while ensuring a positive work culture.
- Build strong relationships with the RHCC leadership team and key stakeholders.
- Develop and implement organizational efficiencies for the Agronomy/Turf team.
- Implement RHCC standard operating procedures pertaining to the property and maintenance of the turf departments and resort staff.
- Ensure strict compliance with guidelines pertaining to state and federal legislation, regulations, permits, and licenses.
- Create procedures to identify application equipment, technology and climate requirements, planting programs, data collection & analysis procedures for product applications.
- Oversee procurement of the equipment fleet & property assets for both golf and operational property maintenance, as authorized by General Manager.
- Assist with financial forecasts and analyzing budget variances directly with the General Manager and Controller.
- Efficient and timely preparation and submission of all required capital, operating budgets and financial reports.
- Maintain knowledge of current industry developments through continuous learning, attention to golf industry periodicals and participation in relevant trade associations and organizations.
- Select maintenance equipment required to maintain the golf facilities, leveraging RHCC’s relationships with global vendors/suppliers where possible.
Licenses and Special Requirements
- Pesticide Application certification.
- Valid driver’s license.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions.
- Frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; extreme cold; extreme heat; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Able to meet and perform physical requirements and to work effectively in an environment which is typical of this position.
- Frequent lifting, bending, climbing, stooping and pulling.