The Tree Farm is seeking a passionate, driven applicant for the Assistant Superintendent position with a shared mission of excellence. Our team members strive to create a one of a kind golf experience that presents championship quality day in and out! Consequently, we are building a championship team and leaders.
Our core values of hard work, optimism and drive not only contribute to individual growth but also create an environment where team collaboration is paramount. We take pride in building a supportive workplace culture that fosters creativity and innovation as we strive for continuous excellence together.
At our core lays an ambition: To place individuals into superintendent positions at highly esteemed clubs all across the country.
About The Tree Farm:
The Tree Farm is a new destination private golf club in Batesburg, South Carolina. It is the vision of PGA Tour player and golf architecture enthusiast Zac Blair. The routing of the golf course was completed by world renowned golf course architect Tom Doak and the design of the course and all its features was completed by Kye Goalby and his team of shapers.
The Tree Farm is a private boutique golf club with a national membership that puts a premium on impeccable daily conditioning throughout the golfing season. There will be less than 10,000 rounds annually. The club will be closed from June 1-Early September on a yearly basis to complete cultural practices and miscellaneous course improvement projects.
Blair’s vision for The Tree Farm is simple. He wants to bring together his buddies who love golf at a place where they can have fun and enjoy the game.
By the Numbers:
- Maintenance Budget - $2.0-$2.4M
- 19 full-time employees
- 6-8 seasonal employees from November-April
- John Deere Lease Package ($3M)
- Rainbird IC System with 2500 GPM Watertronics Pump Station
- Upcoming Projects - putting green construction, Clubhouse/Village construction
Initial Priorities of Position:
- Partner with the Director of Greens and Grounds, and management team.
- Assist with the turf establishment including cultural practices, moisture management, proper fertility and integrated pest management practices.
- Refine daily operating standards to ensure optimal playability and member experiences.
- Actively leads daily data management practices ranging from moisture readings, firmness and labor tracking practices.
- Utilize the latest technologies and agronomic practices.
- Help establish the culture and workplace culture to ensure The Tree Farm is regarded as one of the finest places in the country, and is able to continue recruiting both local and national team members.
An Assistant Superintendent at The Tree Farm will gain exposure in:
- Managing 3.5 Acres of TifEagle Ultradwarf Bermudagrass
- Managing 70+ Acres of Tahoma31 Bermudagrass tees and fairways
- Operation and maintenance of Rainbird 2-wire irrigation system with Watertronics pump station
- Drainage design, installation and repair
- Turfgrass cultivation and grooming (Topdressing, aerification, verticutting, etc)
- Chemical/Fertilizer calibration and application
- Driving Range and Putting Green construction in 2023
- Native area seeding and establishment
- Daily crew management and scheduling
- Budgeting, payroll and management training
- Professional development and leadership training
- Tournament volunteering at professional events throughout the United States
- A large industry network of experts in the golf course maintenance sector
- Certificate or Degree in Turfgrass Science/Management or similar field.
- Three to five years' experience on a golf course. Management experience is a plus.
- Passionate professional, who desires to be a part of a unique golf and club culture that will accelerate your career, while balancing work and life.
About Nick Roth - Director of Greens and Grounds:
With over 10+ years in the golf course maintenance industry, Nick has led The Tree Farm's grow-in and construction with a forward thinking vision using latest technologies and best practices.
Prior experiences include superintendent positions at Red Hawk Run Golf Course, and Oakland Hills Country Club for the most recent golf course restoration alongside Gil Hanse. Additional experience assistant superintendent roles at Sand Ridge Golf Club, Elyria Country Club and Pine Brook Golf Course.
Nick was a 2017 Green Start Academy attendee, and graduate of the Ohio State University.
About Batesburg, SC:
Nestled in the Midlands with close proximity to Interstate 20, Batesburg-Leesville is the halfway point between the capital city of Columbia and Augusta, Georgia but still only two hours from the mountains and the beach.
The towns theme is "Come Sample the South" and that can be done on the second full weekend in May as the South Carolina Poultry Festival is held in the town. The festival is two days of food, fun, music and crafts.
Batesburg has the combination of small town feel with growth potential.
Nearby Aiken is in Aiken County and is one of the best places to live in South Carolina. Living in Aiken offers residents a sparse suburban feel and most residents own their homes. In Aiken there are a lot of parks. Many young professionals and retirees live in Aiken.
Aiken is home to first-class polo and racing. It is even home to the Thoroughbred Racing Hall of Fame.