St. Clair Country Club located in Pittsburgh, PA is seeking a loyal, driven, and professional Assistant in Training to be entrusted with development and management of the golf course. The individual will join a great team, positive work environment, and have the opportunity to learn and grow within SCCC. There is a focus of creating a work/life balance for assistants, so the selected individual will be joining a collaborative team of three other assistants to ensure flexibility in scheduling and responsibilities.
As part of the management team at St. Clair Country Club, the Assistant Superintendents participate in the management of the 18 hole Championship Course as well as the 9 hole Terrace Course. This position works as a part of a team of Assistant Superintendents who share in the responsibilities associated with the operations of the Greens and Grounds department. Our goal is to provide a work environment focused on pride, flexibility, autonomy, teamwork and delivering results for the Assistant Superintendents.
Success Traits of individual:
- A positive attitude, collaboration, strong work ethic, detail-oriented and loyal team player.
- Has a clear goal of becoming a Golf Course Superintendent
- Passionate about maintaining a golf course to high standards, and is aware of the commitment to achieve membership goals of premier conditions consistently.
- Strong interpersonal skills, works independently, problem solves, active listening and continues to improve organizational skills
Initial Priorities of the Position:
- Learn the daily operations, culture of St. Clair Country Club, team members, care and maintenance standards of the turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees on the facility grounds.
- Participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the Club's grounds in compliance with all local, state, and federal laws.
- Participates and manages proper techniques for irrigation of turf and landscape plants including hand watering and use of overhead irrigation.
Compensation and Benefits:
- $17-$18 dependent on experience
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- Short-term Disability
- Long-term Disability
- Retirement Benefit
Primary Duties and Functions:
- Responsible for all phases of Golf Maintenance and Agronomic operations and personnel.
- Works closely with, advises, and coordinates with the Golf Course Superintendent on any issues related to golf course and grounds maintenance.
- Directs and participates in the construction and maintenance of the grounds.
- Administers and enforces all Club rules, regulations and policies for staff.
- Participates in repair and upkeep of irrigation system, pump station, and components associated with the irrigation system.
- Participate in record keeping and inventory of grounds department.
- Participates in water usage tracking and provides monthly reporting on water source usage.
- Participates in scheduling maintenance practices around member play and outings to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to members.
- The job centers around developing new ideas, systems and technology, and also analyzing and improving on old ones.
- A high level of expertise is expected and the ability to spot and correct errors is important
- 0-3 years experience in golf course maintenance or related landscape or horticulture field.
- 2-year Degree or Certificate in Turf Management (or related field, like agronomy, horticulture, plant science, soil science) is preferred, but will consider those with the right attitude and ambition to grow in the golf industry.
- Computer skills
- Valid Driver's License.
- Ability to obtain Pennsylvania Pesticide Application License.
- Prefer member of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America.
The St. Clair lifestyle consists of an 18-hole Championship golf course with newly renovated bunkers in 2021. Additionally, a Terrace 9-hole course, perfect for families and players, which are new to the game of golf. St. Clair offers a state-of-the-art golf simulator, equipped with the latest technology for club fitting, a short game practice facility, and a separate driving range is available for member practice and clinics. Further amenities include a 67,000 square foot Clubhouse with incredible views from our patio. Four paddle tennis courts, fitness center, men's and ladies locker room, outdoor swimming pool with a separate children's pool and a passionate team that is committed to provide a personalized service experience to its members, their families and guests.
To learn more, visit https://www.stclaircc.org/about-us