The Vaquero Club located in Westlake, Texas is seeking a Golf Course Superintendent to join the Director of Agronomy to maintain one of Texas's top golf courses. The selected candidate will be a results-driven leader, who desires to accelerate their career trajectory and skill sets. Vaquero Club has a proven history of launching its Golf Course Superintendents into their own operations throughout the country.
Established in 2001, Vaquero occupies 525 acres of what was once the Hunt brothers’ Circle T Ranch in Westlake, Texas. Discovery Land Company purchased the ranch and developed it into an intimate, utterly private community.
Golf is the core of the Vaquero member experience with a spectacular private course, which is currently under a complete redesign by Andrew Green. The course is expected to elevate its reputation statewide and nationally by making use of the rolling terrain, shady oaks, quiet ponds and unique playing features.
Initial Priorities of the Position:
- Partner with the Director of Agronomy to finalize full-scale renovation by Andrew Green including 18-hole golf course and practice area that will deliver world-class fast and firm conditions for 12-months out of the year.
- Assist with the turf establishment including agronomic programs such as water management, cultural practices, fertility, pest management programs, and monitoring of climate control systems (Hydronics and PrecisionAire units).
- Plays a critical role in coordinating and leading golf course daily operations in a fast-paced environment including execution of agronomic inputs, mentoring of assistants, and handling of inventory management.
- Leads by example in recruiting, developing and training employees to deliver high quality turf conditions and optimal presentation of the golf course.
The Golf Course Superintendent will work closely with Director of Agronomy (Matthew Weitz), Golf Course Architect, Assistant Managers and Equipment Manager to ensure turf grow-in and maturation of the golf course and grounds with construction already in motion with anticipated completion by June 2023.
He/she will be energetic, thorough, collaborative, hands-on, highly detailed and service-oriented partner. The position requires a high degree of discipline, diligence and ability to manage multiple priorities to achieve defined goals and initiatives.
From a career development perspective, the position is designed to launch someone to a premier Golf Course Superintendent role of their own within 1-2 years.
To be successful, the Golf Course Superintendent must have outstanding agronomy, leadership, communication, business acumen, golf course maintenance aptitude and experience. Most importantly, the passion, creativity, and commitment to deliver an experience reflective of the most recognized golf facilities in the United States.
- 42,000 Total Square Foot Clubhouse, remodeled by Mike Marsh in 2019
- 3 - Dining areas: Clubhouse, Ranch House, and Pool Grill
- Men’s Locker Room Lounge and Women’s Locker Room Lounge
- 4 - Tennis Courts, and 3 -Pickleball Courts
- Swimming Pool, Youth Recreation, 2 - Event Lawns, and Kids Club
- Spa and Fitness Center, Indoor Golf Teaching Center
- Family events, fishing, paddleboats, or canoeing
- Initiation Fee - $211,500
- Annual dues for Golf Member - $25,000
- Annual Golf Rounds Per Year – 21,000
- Gross Revenues - $18.2M
- Maintenance Budget - $3.5M
- Average Membership Age – 56
- Maintenance budget - $2.5M+
- Total golf course maintenance employees - 18-20
- Irrigation - Reverse osmosis system, Toro satellite system
- Equipment - lease program with Toro
- The Club is open six days per week, 12 months a year
- An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in turf management or related field of study.
- Minimum of 6-8 years of progressive assistant level experience and responsibilities required at a golf course known for exceptional conditioning and member services.
- Preferred grow-in and construction experience.
- Preferred Bentgrass greens management experience, and warm-season expertise, but will consider those with strong leadership, agronomic and/or grow-in experience from other climates.
The following knowledge, skills and aptitudes are desirable:
Agronomics/Daily Golf Course Management:
- Strong technical and analytical focus to ensure optimal agronomic, water, soil and environmental management programs.
- Comfortable working in an environment that expects premium conditioning daily, and is able to achieve those results consistently.
- Takes pride in working with best in class tools, resources and practices.
- Specialized technical problem solving and ingenuity while working within approved organizational systems and technology, and the demonstration of the values of integrity, quality and caution.
- Solid irrigation management philosophy and practices including water quality control, and hand-water management.
- Understands regulatory, construction, surface and stormwater planning.
- Successful experience in similar or more challenging climates.
- Results-oriented cultural, fertility and pesticide programming.
- Understand green climate control systems and their impact on green turf selection to deliver an optimal playing surface for the greatest number of months in the hot and cool Texas environment.
- Highly detailed, organized and diligent to ensure optimal grow-in and establishment of turf.
- Can follow current policies, procedures and duties to meet established timelines.
- Humble, trustworthy, strong character and impeccable integrity.
- Lead by example approach to setting standards of operation, assures policies and procedures are followed, delegates and shares responsibility for work output.
- Helps mentor three assistant superintendents, three assistant in training, ensuring their growth and development.
- Establish internship program, and ensuring Vaquero Club is an attractive destination for turf graduates.
- Opportunity for someone who engenders trust, demonstrates a sense of urgency and assures consistent achievement of quality standards.
- Develop a workplace culture reflective of top performing organizations and ensure consistent focus on motivating and retaining employees, and promoting ethics and values.
- Collaborative in nature, and ability to work effectively with various constituents including golf and clubhouse operations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Task based, technically-oriented communication, while building relationships and actively listening to others.
- Strong follow up reporting with Director of Agronomy, Equipment Manager and direct reports. including Assistant Superintendents and team members.
- Collaborative and forward with other departments.
- Exemplary administrative, inventory, record keeping and accounting practices.
- Comfortable utilizing Microsoft Office or similar software.
- Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, federal and state regulations.
- Works directly with Director of Agronomy on budget management, labor tracking, inventory and purchasing programs.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
Golf IQ/Industry Relations
- High golf IQ - steward of the game, environment and traditions.
- Adapts maintenance practices to enhance design features and golfer playability.
- Strong agronomic skills-stays current with trends in turf technology and equipment.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary - $100,000-$125,000 (dependent on experience)
- Participation in medical, dental, vision insurances
- Relocation assistance
- Performance-based bonus
- Golfing privileges
- Retirement benefits
- Typical GCSAA fees (Local and National dues)
- Continued education
- Additional benefits will be discussed in final interview
ABOUT THE ARCHITECT:
Andrew Green - https://greengolfandturf.com
Andrew Green is the President and Principal Architect of A.H. Green Design/Green Golf & Turf, Inc. Green spent 14 years with McDonald and Sons as a Senior Designer being exposed to renovation projects at places like Merion, Shinnecock Hills, Pine Valley, and Oakmont. He completed the restoration of Inverness Club in Toledo, OH – which hosted its first US Open in 1920 – in 2018, receiving accolades from Golfweek as the Restoration of the Year. He also recently renovated Congressional Country Club’s Blue Course in preparation for 10 different PGA of America Championships over the next two decades, concluding with the 2036 Ryder Cup. His work on the East Course at Oak Hill Country Club in Rochester, NY opened in the summer of 2020 and will host the 2023 PGA Championship. He is highly respected as one of the top golf course architects and renovation experts.
Westlake is one of the most sought-after communities for residents, businesses, and visitors alike. It is also home to Westlake Academy, which is built on the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum which stresses inductive learning and was named #37 in the nation by U.S. News & World Reports.
Vaquero is located 15 minutes from the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport and offers ample shopping and dining in the neighboring towns of Southlake, Trophy Club and Roanoke.
Please apply to the link below, candidate interviews will be scheduled write a thoughtful cover letter to Matt Weitz, Director of Agronomy, about why you are interested in the position, and how your expertise will contribute to the success of the position.
Save your application materials as one file as such:
(Last Name, First Name, Vaquero)
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 28th, 2023. It is expected candidate interviews to be completed by early-May. Start date flexible within the month of May.