A once in a lifetime opportunity exists for a strong leader to grow-in and lead the golf course maintenance operations of a Kyle Franz design in Luling, Texas, a suburb equal distance to Austin and San Antonio. A 45-minute drive to both cities. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to play an integral role in the development of a new golf course and club culture from the ground up.
The site is extremely unique with an extensive network of ravines that run throughout the 1,100+ acres, which are surrounded by a working cattle ranch.
Franz is recognized for creating innovative and highly acclaimed golf experiences. The project is deemed to blend design influence from Golden Age architecture with the Texas Hill Country landscape to provide firm, fast and elite conditioning.
Membership will be local and national. It is expected to be an invitation-only membership with less than 10,000 rounds annually with no cart rounds. The vision is to create an everyday golf experience reflective of the finest in the United States.
The golf course is designed with multiple options from a tee and pin perspective, therefore, a strong understanding of course set-up will be important on a daily basis. Additionally, the club is likely to add additional holes over time so a willingness and desire to grow will be important. The position is expected to grow in responsibility and oversight as the golf course and club mature. The individual should have dedication to high standards of excellence, passion for the game of golf, while being a steward of the environment and design intention.
The selected candidate will be a results-driven leader, who brings energy to join an ambitious and golf-centric ownership team and Director of Golf Course and Grounds. The atmosphere and experience will cater to amateur golfers and events, and those who love the game of golf.
Initial Priorities of the Position:
- Partner with the Director of Golf Course and Grounds, construction, design, and ownership team to create a new 18-hole golf course and practice area that will be sustainable and deliver world-class fast and firm conditions.
- Assist with the turf establishment including infrastructure installation, climate control systems, construction mixes, and grassing of all playing surfaces.
- Establish foundational agronomic programs including soil testing practices, fertility, pest management and cultural practices.
- Leads quality control measurements including soil testing, construction mix testing, sand testing, and other metrics.
- Provide input into the development of the maintenance complex, team and daily operations.
The Golf Course Superintendent will work closely with Director of Golf Course and Grounds, Golf Course Architects, Project Manager and construction team to ensure turf selection, grow-in and maturation of the golf course and grounds with construction already in motion with anticipated grassing to be completed by Q3 2023.
Serve a critically important role to ensure the course is built to deliver firm and fast conditions, and is able to be cost-effectively maintained post-construction. Build relationships with Architects, contractors, officials and consultants to keep lines of communication open and everyone on the same page.
Execute and enhance the personality and culture of the Club, its membership, and its employees. He/she will be a visible, collaborative, hands-on, patient and service-oriented partner. The golf experience will be the primary driver of success for a golf-centric membership, and thus will require diligent attention, expertise, and care.
To be successful, the Golf Course Superintendent must have outstanding agronomy, leadership, communication, business acumen, golf course maintenance aptitude and experience. Most importantly, the drive, creativity, and commitment to deliver an experience reflective of the most recognized golf facilities in the United States.
The following knowledge, skills and aptitudes are desirable:
Agronomics/Daily Golf Course Management:
- Strong technical and analytical focus to ensure optimal agronomic, water, soil and environmental management programs.
- Consistently seeks out best in class conditioning methodology including tools and practices.
- Solid irrigation management philosophy and practices including water quality control, and hand-water management.
- Understands regulatory, construction, surface and stormwater planning.
- Successful experience in similar or more challenging climates.
- Results-oriented cultural, fertility and pesticide programming.
- Establishes and maintains golf course maintenance operations and facilities to help create a safe, productive, and enjoyable environment for employees, as well as golfers and onsite visitors.
Golf course grow-in and construction
- Strong understanding of grass selection, infrastructure needs to optimize design and playability.
- Understand green climate control systems and their impact on green turf selection to deliver an optimal playing surface for the greatest number of months in the hot and cool Texas environment.
- Experience with facility construction including maintenance facility, chemical storage, pump station and other amenity buildings.
- Record progress with videos, photographs and communication reports.
- Humble, trustworthy, strong character and impeccable integrity.
- Demonstrates creativity, flexibility, outside the box thinking and assures consistent achievement of goals.
- Lead by example approach to setting standards of operation.
- Develop a workplace culture reflective of top performing organizations and ensure consistent focus on motivating and retaining employees, and promoting ethics and values.
- Collaborative in nature, and ability to work effectively with various constituents.
- Direct, transparent, thoughtful and confident communicator.
- Relationship builder, active listener with a history of excellent relations with all constituents.
- Strong follow up reporting with Director of Grounds and direct reports.
- Exemplary administrative, inventory, record keeping and accounting practices.
- Comfortable utilizing Microsoft Office or similar software.
- Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, federal and state regulations.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
Golf IQ/Industry Relations
- High golf IQ - steward of the game, environment and traditions.
- Adapts maintenance practices to enhance design features and golfer playability.
- Strong agronomic skills-stays current with trends in turf technology and equipment.