Golf Course Superintendent – Metropolitan Golf Links, Oakland, CA
Metropolitan Golf Links is a public golf facility featuring an 18-hole course, 62,000 square-foot grass driving range, two practice putting greens, a short-game practice area, a wedding ceremony site, and a short-game practice facility built and maintained for the UC Berkeley men’s and women’s golf teams. The course was built atop dredged materials from the Oakland Estuary on top of the Galbraith Golf Course and a landfill. The course’s layout and USGA spec greens are among the top reasons that Bay Area golfers love Metropolitan. Johnny Miller and Fred Bliss designed the links-style course that is located adjacent to Oakland International Airport and the layout has two balanced nines that start and end at the clubhouse. The course opened in 2003 and will be celebrating its 20th anniversary this April.
Oversee all activities related to the ongoing maintenance of the golf course, practice facilities, driving range, grounds, and equipment. As the greens are Bentgrass/Poa annua, experience managing this turf variety and producing excellent playing conditions in similar climates to Oakland, California is highly desired. The position requires daily interaction with the Metropolitan Golf Links team, its clients, guests, and internal and external partners. Excellent communication skills (oral and written) are needed. The Superintendent will lead the staff recruiting, hiring, and training effort in the maintenance department. The golf course superintendent manages labor, time, materials, and finances in a manner that is compatible with the environment, meets financial goals and serves our customer and clients.
The superintendent embodies the company core value of Environmental Stewardship through conservation, regeneration, restoration, and sustainable practices. Metropolitan has a long history of environmental stewardship receiving local, state, and national recognition for its leadership in promoting and protecting wildlife and other natural resource conservation.
The superintendent engages with community clubs and organizations including, but not limited to home golf clubs, junior programs, and Oakland schools. Metropolitan has hosted summer interns and held study-tours throughout the school year through its non-profit organization Oakland Turfgrass Education Initiative.
- All activities associated with producing excellent playing and practice conditions on a day-to-day basis.
- Hire, train and supervise the maintenance team. Plan and implement team schedules to ensure quality standards are achieved.
- Plan the development and implementation of a fertilizer, aeration and pest management program for proper turf grass and plant care.
- Develop the annual maintenance budget and operating plan. Implement the plan according to CourseCo operating policies and procedures to ensure goals are achieved.
- Participate with the development of course improvement projects and lead the implementation of the projects.
- Supervise equipment maintenance and repair operations. Establish and implement a cleaning and preventive maintenance program for appropriate equipment, tools, vehicles, etc.
- Ensure maintenance of all appropriate quality and cleanliness standards including, but not limited to, employee hygiene and uniforms, equipment repair areas, equipment storage areas, chemical and fertilizer storage areas, receiving areas, wash areas, lunchroom areas, etc.
- Manage the ordering and receiving program to maintain proper inventories of supplies to ensure proper quality and price on all purchases.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, OSHA rules and regulations, relating to chemical and fertilizer storage and disposal, employee safety, public safety, etc.
- Manage employment activities for applicable team members, including but not limited to, personnel recruitment and selection, performance evaluations, training and compensation, discipline, and termination, etc.
- Maintain accurate records pertaining to department activities including, but not limited to, labor schedules, water usage, course maintenance, construction activities, equipment repair, safety meetings and activities, fertilizer and chemical applications and pest control practices. Assure the efficient and timely submission of all required operational, financial, budgetary, and related reports.
- Maintain knowledge of current and projected industry developments through continuous attention to industry periodicals and participation in relevant associations and organizations.
- Class A Superintendent preferred.
- 5 years of experience as a Golf Course Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent with 5+ years’ experience in a supervisory/leadership role.
- Experience producing excellent playing conditions with efficient irrigation water use.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems, efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision, and work flexible hours as required including evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Demonstrates experience and capability in the areas of budget development, fiscal management, strategic planning, and team management.
- Demonstrates excellent leadership abilities and interpersonal communication skills.
- Positive attitude, professional manner, and appearance in all situations.
- Dedication and commitment to excellent member service.
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel.
- 2 or 4-year turf management degree preferred.
The Superintendent will report directly to the golf course General Manager.
Metropolitan Golf Links is a CourseCo, Inc managed facility. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a pre-employment screening process and have valid documentation proving eligibility to work that will be validated online.
Compensation: $105,000 - $120,000 annual salary.
Additional Salary Information: GCSAA dues, cell phone reimbursement, participation in company sponsored medical, dental, vision, 401K plans. Paid Time Off in accordance with company policy.
To apply: Please submit a resume to Lance Iwanaka, Senior Operations Manager, email@example.com.