Location: Cabot Cape Breton - Inverness, Nova Scotia
About Cabot Cape Breton
Located on over a mile of sandy beach along the coast of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia—and nestled between the Atlantic Ocean and the picturesque town of Inverness—Cabot Cape Breton is Canada’s first and only authentic links golf resort. Featuring 46 holes of exhilarating golf, including two acclaimed World Top 100 courses, 72 rooms of award-winning accommodation, 19 upscale Golf Villas, and exquisite dining in three on-site restaurants, Cabot Cape Breton is intended to excite and inspire at every turn.
A key member of our Cabot team, our Director of Agronomy will be instrumental in building on the Cabot legacy of perfection. This leader will oversee our vitally important Turf & Property Grounds departments.
You will be trusted to oversee the development, operations, and maintenance of our acclaimed Cabot Cape Breton Golf Courses. You will be instrumental in providing an exhilarating golf experience by leading the team that provides exceptional care of our land through effective and efficient practices including, but not limited to, the use of irrigation systems and maintenance facilities.
The Director of Agronomy is instrumental in developing innovative, tailored agronomic strategies. You will oversee the construction & improvement plans that enhance our world-class golf experience focused on conditioning standards and professional services that align with our Cabot brand. This position is accountable for achieving financial targets relative to the operations for which they are responsible, while serving to protect and enhance our beautiful land.
• Provide agronomic direction for the care and healthy growth of our golf courses, including grasses, trees, wetlands, and surrounding environmental structures
• Work in partnership with Director of Golf & the Golf Division to ensure we challenge ourselves to continually exceed our guest experience standards - with a strong focus on providing firm fast conditions renowned in Links Golf
• Plan, develop, and execute all agronomic programs in compliance with the companies’ environmental protection policies, IPM Plan & Audubon Certification, while leading long-term, sustainable turf conditioning objectives
• Oversee improvements to the property’s maintenance facilities, on-course structures, and nurseries.
• Oversee effective coastal dune ecosystem management, repairing & mitigating coastal erosion, and provide strategies to protect and enhance the natural coastline
• Coordinate golf course improvements, long-term plans, repairs and maintenance programs while considering player access, golf season peaks and business volumes
• Assist with the planning and execution of new developments and take responsibility for the acquisition, installation, and evaluation of infrastructure relative to property landscapes
• Inspire a best-in-class team who works across Turf & Horticultural operations for Cabot Links, Cabot Cliffs, The Nest, practice facilities, resort & real estate grounds, wooded areas, tennis & recreational amenities, open spaces, plantings & gardens, exterior landscapes & hardscapes, etc. - to perform to the highest standard
• Provide clear and engaged leadership to all team members by actively connecting with a positive and team-oriented communication style regularly and openly with the intent of winning together
• Raise the bar on taking care of your team – working with Human Resources on employment activities like personnel recruitment and selection, performance evaluations, training, compensation, payroll, etc.
• Represent our Cabot Cape Breton brand with impact as a liaison in reviewing/determining future construction specifications, sanctioning of material testing & analysis, installation of infrastructure, including recommendations & requirements
• Build strong relationships with our Managing Director, General Manager, Chief Financial Officer and Architects, among others, to complete all activities, interests, and requests
• Develop and implement organizational efficiencies for the teams of Superintendents & Assistants, Equipment Managers, Resort & Landscape Managers
• Coordinate and oversee ground’s personnel activities while providing the framework to guide team members in their personal/professional development plans and the positive work culture Cabot delivers
• Inspire colleagues to develop themselves and to coach their teams to enthusiastically perform to the highest standard
• Implement Cabot policies including operating procedures, Human Resources, safety policies and others pertaining to the property and maintenance of the turf departments and resort staff
Attention to Detail
• Ensure strict compliance with guidelines pertaining to provincial and federal legislation, regulations, permits, and licenses
• Refine or adjust procedures relating to propagation, application equipment, & technological advances and climate required for product applications, planting programs, as well as data collection & analysis
• Oversee procurement of the equipment fleet & property assets for both golf and operational property maintenance, as authorised by the CFO
• Responsible for the preparation and implementation of operating and capital budgets. Assist with financial forecasts and analyzing budget variances directly with the CFO and Controller(s)
• Assure the efficient and timely submission of all required operational, financial, budgetary and record keeping reports in accord with financially approved objectives over outcomes
• Coordinate the hiring and schedule of works for contractors and ensure they are in line with the golf course and resort development plans to maximize efficient progress achievable throughout the construction phases
• Assemble and work with architects, consultants, scientists, engineers, and affiliates with advanced expertise and unique skillsets
• Maintain knowledge of current industry developments through continuous learning, attention to golf industry periodicals and participation in relevant trade associations and organizations.
• You possess strong awareness and curiosity about industry trends and technology to support growth and maintenance
• You are self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly analytical with exceptional problem-solving skills
• Your leadership skills include asking open-ended questions, excellent listening and intentionally connecting with your team members on a regular basis
• Degree or Diploma in Golf Course/ Turfgrass Management or a related field
• Previous Golf Course Management/Directorial experience within a multi golf course facility
• The ability to maintain a Nova Scotia Pesticide Applicators License & IPM Certification
• Demonstrated experience and competency in turfgrass agronomic practices and procedures
• Demonstrated experience and aptitude in the areas of fiscal management and personal leadership
• The passion and ability to coordinate agronomic strategies for Golf Courses and Landscape
• Ability to analyze and solve problems, efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision, and willingness to work flexible hours as required including early mornings, nights/weekends
• This role requires work outdoors in varying environmental conditions such as heat, cold, rain, snow, and wind
• Ability to spend long hours moving, walking, sitting, standing, kneeling, reaching, shoveling and/or raking
• Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently to lift, carry, push, or otherwise move objects
• Ability to work with and around motorized equipment movement hazards, and misdirected golf balls
• Utilization of audio/visual technologies for communication purposes
• Ability to work with and around pesticides, fertilizers, and registered products and to safely interpret and follow all product safety labels and instructions
About Cabot Cape Breton
Located on over a mile of sandy beach along the coast of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia—and nestled between the Atlantic Ocean and the picturesque town of Inverness. Cabot features 36 holes of exhilarating golf and one of the best resort experiences in Canada. With two acclaimed World Top 100 courses, 72 rooms of award-winning accommodation at Cabot Links Lodge, 19 upscale Golf Villas, and exquisite dining in three on-site restaurants, Cabot is intended to excite and inspire at every turn.