BallenIsles Country Club is seeking a Director of Agronomy with a passion for managing the golf course agronomic practices of a premier south Florida private club. Our new leader should be an exemplary communicator and manager of people. A strategic thinker who understands the value in presenting a high quality product, consistently.
The ideal candidate will be an expert agronomist with exceptional leadership skills to foster a positive and engaged employee culture. This position requires a minimum of 10 years of golf course management experience in a senior management level position within a similar upscale, luxury environment. Multi-course oversight and large-scale operations is preferred.
BallenIsles is a 50+ year old member owned club to 1,400 member families. BallenIsles offers three 18-hole championship golf courses and practice facilities. Future plans for improvement and renovations is a key part of the Club’s ongoing quality strategy. The courses include; The North Course, renovated by Kipp Shulties in 2014, the South Course, renovated by Rees Jones in 2019, and the famed East Course, currently in renovation planning by Nicklaus Design. The comprehensive practice facilities will also undergo a full re-imagination by Nicklaus design in 2022.
BallenIsles’ grand clubhouse completed a $35 million renovation in 2018. The renovation project expanded facilities in areas such as golf, locker and card rooms, added new dining options, and enhanced catering and social events as well as other member service areas and amenities.
The 63,000 square foot Sports Complex offers a tennis pro shop, state-of-the-art fitness center, full service spa and salon, and the Bistro 105 restaurant. BallenIsles also offers 22 tennis courts and lushly landscaped tropical pool for our member’s pleasure.
BallenIsles Country Club is a Distinguished Emerald Club, Platinum Club, American’s Healthiest Club, CMAA International Wine Society, Audubon International Certified, Association of Golf Merchandisers Platinum Award and 2021 Best of Palm Beach County Winner (Best Country Club). The Club is open 7 days a week, 12 months per year.
BallenIsles Country Club has enjoyed a 12-year relationship with the Troon companies and is regarded as the premium private club in the portfolio. BallenIsles is currently finalizing a 10-year extension to the relationship with Troon.
Please visit the website to learn more about the Club at: www.ballenisles.org
The Director of Agronomy is responsible to implement sound agronomic programs in accordance with Troon Quality Standards while working within the fiscal parameters of the property. Responsible for leading and inspiring all associates in Agronomy in a manner that is consistent with the Club’s Mission, Vision and Core Values to foster and engaged employee culture. Responsible for the management of golf course assets, capital and improvement projects. Safety training and safe operational practices is a priority to also be managed by the Director of Agronomy.
• Develops budgeting and capital plans. Manages expenses within the department in accordance with the Club directive.
• Provides timely and accurate reporting of all financial and non-financial information as directed, requested or required by Troon Golf representatives, or the General Manager.
• Maintains clear understanding of and implements all Troon Golf Agronomy standards in addition to ensuring compliance with all local, state and federal regulatory standards/laws.
• Stays abreast of current agronomic information.
• Ensures proper mixing, calibration, and application of all chemical/fertilizers used on the course.
• Ensures that they and all associates obtain proper training and/or licenses needed to perform job tasks safely and within city, state, and federal regulations. Addresses directly all real or perceived environmental concerns.
• Maintains ongoing awareness of all agronomic activity on the course and provides constant feedback and direction to key staff members.
• Participates in golf course construction projects.
• Ensures both upward and downward communication within the department and inter-departmentally.
• Provides leadership and a positive working environment that fosters teamwork, communication, ethical behavior, cleanliness and a “can do” attitude.
• Develops, trains, coaches, disciplines and mentors managers within the department providing feedback, direction and leadership so that they may carry out the daily activities of the department, all while grooming them for upward mobility within the company.
• Responsible for interviewing, hiring, training, planning, assigning, and directing work, evaluating performance, rewarding, and disciplining associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Manages department members that may include, but is not limited to any Maintenance staff such as: Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, Environmental Technical, Mechanic, Foreman, Irrigation Technician, Greenskeeper, and Equipment Operator.
• Assures that effective orientation and training are given to each new associate. Develops ongoing training programs.
• Regular and reliable attendance.
• Incorporates safe work practices in job performance.
Education and Experience:
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university in Turfgrass Management or Agronomy and a minimum of 10 years of golf course management experience in a senior management level position within a similar upscale, luxury environment.
Additional Required Qualifications:
Candidates must also have thorough knowledge and demonstrated prior success with construction and maintenance projects related to all areas of the golf course. The Director of Agronomy will be required to manage upcoming course renovation projects
Compensation and Benefits:
The Club will offer a competitive compensation plan, including a competitive bonus and comprehensive benefits package to include but not be limited to medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 401k Retirement Savings Program, paid time off and other benefit programs.
Relocation support can be available if required.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and a resume not more than two pages by email to BallenIsles Country Club, Attention: Jackie Medford, Director of Human Resources firstname.lastname@example.org