Summary: the 2nd Assistant provides leadership for the golf maintenance staff while maintaining a clean and safe environment and leading by example. Gain knowledge, skills, and understanding of Assistant Superintendent role while performing technical responsibilities in golf course maintenance.
Reports To: Golf Course Superintendent/Senior Assistant Superintendent
Responsibilities include: Irrigation work, plant protection applications, operating equipment, training employees, directing work crews, conducting weekly safety meetings, addressing employee complaints and resolving problems, coach and counsel employees, and aiding in evaluating employee performance. The 2nd Assistant Superintendent may serve in the Superintendent’s capacity during his/her and the Senior Assistant’s absence.
Expectations and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Provide leadership for staff.
· Assist in managing the maintenance and upkeep of the golf course.
· Attend and assist with staff meetings and daily start-ups.
· Inspect golf course, landscape and maintenance areas daily.
· Conduct daily facility security checks ensuring accurate inventory of equipment.
· Assist the Golf Course Superintendent and Senior Assistant Superintendent with completing daily project schedules for maintenance crew.
· Assist the Golf Course Superintendent and Senior Superintendent with determining the immediate and future needs of the golf course.
· Keep data and organization of experimental trials and test plots.
· Communicate with Golf Professional Staff to inform them of golfing conditions.
· Inform staff of procedures, standards, and schedules.
· Attend Professional Development Seminars and display a desire to grow as a professional.
· Apply, or supervise the application of, pesticides and fertilizers to golf course areas as directed.
· Be knowledgeable of, and adhere to, all applicable DPR laws and regulations regarding pesticide applications on the golf course and landscape areas.
· Have the ability to work extended hours and weekends.
· Assist with the agronomic planning and implementation.
· Set-up and utilize computer and radio-controlled irrigation system.
· Assist in planning daily irrigation cycles.
· Maintain a working knowledge of the irrigation system components and assist in repair.
· Operate, or have the ability to learn to operate, all equipment normally used in golf course maintenance operation.
Two- or Four-year degree in turfgrass management or agronomy related equivalent field.
Ability to lift 50lbs.
Valid CA Drivers License
California Pesticide Applicator’s Certificate issued by the Department of Pesticide Regulation, or the ability to obtain one in the first three months of work.
Ability to work weekends, holidays, and during periods of inclement weather.
Additional Salary Information: Generous benefits package including paid health/dental/vision, 401K, paid sick and vacation accruals, meals, golfing privileges.
About Brentwood Country Club
Brentwood CC, located on the westside of Los Angeles is an upscale high end private club with 18 holes of golf. The club which was established in 1952 prides itself for pristine golfing conditions year round with an active membership that boasts 40,000 rounds annually. There has been a course on this property in the same layout since 1916, and undergone several renovations throughout the years with the last major renovation being in 2017. The Greens are mostly Bentgrass with some Poa sp. The fairways are kikuyu grass, and the tees are Bermuda overseeded with ryegrass.