Atkins Golf Club in Urbana, IL is excited to announce the exceptional career opportunity of Assistant Golf Course Superintendent. Qualified candidates will thrive in a hospitality environment and be highly focused on providing superior service to the clubs managed by Troon. The 190-acre golf course will be renovated in summer 2021 to include new bunkers, tee construction, and regrassing of the greens. After completion, the property will serve as the home course for the University of Illinois collegiate golf programs. This opportunity will allow the aspiring professional to experience all facets of grow-in and course maintenance.
• Recruit and train full-time and seasonal members of the Agronomy Team. Currently, all staff will need to be hired. This provides us with the unique opportunity to create a positive work environment and culture unique to Atkins.
• Assist in the execution of the renovation plan and help to facilitate communication among contractors and staff.
• Develop an agronomic plan for the property in conjunction with the Superintendent.
• Apply liquid and granular nutrition, plant protectants, and other control products throughout the property.
• Perform irrigation service and repair, schedule watering, and facilitate hand watering of tees, greens, and fairways.
• Ensure a safe and efficient work environment through leading monthly safety meetings and training.
• Maintain timely and accurate records of pesticide applications and SDS documents for the facility.
• Participate in opportunities for continuing education among the turf community.
• Two or four-year degree in Turfgrass Management or related field.
• 3+ years of experience in leadership roles among golf course maintenance, sports fields, or similar fields.
• Pesticide applicator's license.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Skilled user of technology both on and off of the golf course: MS Office, moisture meters, irrigation central control, etc.